flooding in almodington lane

If your property adjoins a ditch, culvert, stream or a river you may be responsible for its maintenance.

Some of your responsibilities include:

  • maintaining river beds and banks;
  • allowing the flow of water to pass without obstruction;
  • controlling invasive alien species such as Japanese knotweed.

However you may need to get permission to do work around a watercourse if you want, You’re responsible for getting the permissions and licences you need. You may get a fine or go to prison if you don’t do this.

For further information please use this link to access lots of useful advice from the Environment Agency.  West Sussex County Council have also published a useful information booklet called Ditch the Problem which helps answer Riparian Owners Frequently Asked Questions.